Salon scissors are a type of hair-cutting scissors that are designed specifically for use in salons.
They are usually longer than regular hair stylist scissors and often have a more pronounced curve, allowing them to cut through thick hair more easily.
Salon scissors are also often made with sharper blades, making precision cuts easier.
What Scissors Do Hairstylists in Salons Buy?
If you’re looking for salon scissors, you should keep a few things in mind.
First, you’ll want to ensure that the scissors you choose are the right size for your hand.
The most popular scissor length for hairstylists is 5.5” inches; some might choose 5.0” inches or a little longer at 6.0” inches.
Secondly, you should also consider the type of blade that you prefer. Some salon scissors have convex edge slicing blades, while others have bevelled edge or serrated blades.
The most popular blade type used in Canadian salons is a slicing blade with Convex Edge, Clam-Shaped edge, or similar.
Finally, you’ll want to think about the price. Salon scissors can range in price from around $100 to $1400.
The most important thing is to choose a pair of scissors that are comfortable for you to use and that will last a long time.
What Are The Five Different Types of Salon Scissors?
- Convex Edge Scissors: Convex edge scissors have a slightly rounded blade that is great for slicing through hair. These scissors are very popular among salon professionals.
- Beveled Edge Scissors: Beveled edge scissors have a more angled blade that is great for making precision cuts. These scissors are also popular among salon professionals.
- Serrated Edge Scissors: Serrated edge scissors have a blade with small teeth that can help grip the hair. These scissors are great for cutting thick or curly hair.
- Thinning Scissors: Thinning scissors have one regular blade and one serrated blade. These scissors are used to thin out the hair.
- Texturizing Scissors: Texturizing scissors have one regular blade and one micro-serrated blade. These scissors are used to create texture in hair.
What Are The Best Brands For Salon Haircutting Scissors?
There are a few brands that salon professionals trust for their salon scissors. Some of the most popular brands include:
- Juntetsu Scissors
- Joewell Shears
- Yasaka Hairdressing Scissors
- Mina Scissors
- Kamisori Shears
- Ichiro Scissors
- Jaguar German Scissors
- Mizutani Shears
- Yamato Shears
- Osaka Passion Shears
Canadian hairstylists know their favourite brand, but switching might not be easy. Sometimes a new brand offers high-quality products at a more affordable price. You don’t need to make a risky choice. We have the best list of professional scissor brands for Canadian salons here!